Truffle is a development environment, testing framework and asset pipeline for Ethereum, aiming to make life as an Ethereum developer easier. With Truffle, you get:
- Built-in smart contract compilation, linking, deployment and binary management.
- Automated contract testing with Mocha and Chai.
- Configurable build pipeline with support for custom build processes.
- Scriptable deployment & migrations framework.
- Network management for deploying to many public & private networks.
- Interactive console for direct contract communication.
- Instant rebuilding of assets during development.
- External script runner that executes scripts within a Truffle environment.
$ npm install -g truffle
For a default set of contracts and tests, run the following within an empty project directory:
$ truffle init
From there, you can run
truffle migrate and
truffle test to compile your contracts, deploy those contracts to the network, and run their associated unit tests.
Truffle comes bundled with a local development blockchain server that launches automatically when you invoke the commands above. If you'd like to configure a more advanced development environment we recommend you install the blockchain server separately by running
npm install -g ganache-cli at the command line.
- ganache-cli: a command-line version of Truffle's blockchain server.
- ganache: A GUI for the server that displays your transaction history and chain state.
Please see the Official Truffle Documentation for guides, tips, and examples.
We welcome pull requests. To get started, just fork this repo, clone it locally, and run:
# Install npm install -g lerna npm install -g yarn npm run bootstrap # Test npm test # Adding dependencies to a package cd packages/<truffle-package> yarn add <npm-package> [--dev] # Use yarn
If you'd like to update a dependency to the same version across all packages, you might find this utility helpful.
Notes on project branches:
master: Stable, released version (v4)
beta: Released beta version (v5.0.0-beta.x)
develop: Work targeting stable release (v4)
next: Upcoming feature development and most new work (v5)
Please make pull requests against
next for any substantial changes. Small changes and bugfixes can be considered for
There is a bit more information in the CONTRIBUTING.md file.